As required by the California Constitution, the proceeds from the sale of the bonds will be used only for the construction, reconstruction, rehabilitation or replacement of school facilities, including the furnishing and equipping of school facilities, or the acquisition or lease of real property for school facilities, and not for any other purpose, including teacher and administrator salaries and other school operating expenses.
The specific school facilities projects to be funded are as follows, and include all related and incidental costs, including costs of design, engineering, architect and other professional services, site preparation, utilities, landscaping, incidental costs, and construction management (including construction management by District personnel).
The District intends to complete the following projects, using a combination of funding sources. Other anticipated sources include State funding, private donations, interest on investments, reimbursements from other agencies, and available capital facility funds.
Whenever specific items are included in the following list, they are presented to provide examples and are not intended to limit the generality of the broader description of authorized projects. The order in which particular projects are listed is not intended to indicate priority for funding or completion.
MODERNIZATION AND CONSTRUCTION
- Prepare students for high-demand 21st century jobs by constructing and upgrading classrooms, labs and job training facilities
- Modernize or construct science, engineering and math classrooms and labs
- Update campus facilities to improve access for disabled students
- Modernize decades-old aging infrastructure including leaking roofs and deteriorating electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems
- Provide adequate classrooms and labs for nursing, radiologic technology, respiratory therapy, surgical technology, dental assisting and other health service programs
- Remove hazardous materials, including asbestos, from College facilities
- Upgrade computer labs and classroom technology to support quality teaching and learning
- Improve classrooms and educational facilities to meet earthquake, fire and safety codes
- Modernize or construct classrooms and other facilities for workforce training; multidisciplinary academic areas; kinesiology; physical training; public safety; early-childhood education; and for humanities, social sciences and fine and performing arts activities
- Replace aging heating, ventilation and air conditioning infrastructure with energy-efficient systems
- Reduce operating costs and preserve the environment by installing renewable and alternative energy systems
- Renovate or construct interior and exterior instructional and support facilities
- Install security, video and communications systems to improve safety at the Colleges
- Repair or replace furniture, fixtures and finishes throughout the College District
- Repair or install erosion control, landscaping and wildfire mitigation
- Modernize Learning Centers and Libraries to support state-of-the-art teaching and learning
- Make other real property improvements or acquisitions and pay lease obligations to meet student and community needs
- Modernize roadways, walkways, parking, signage and transit facilities to improve accessibility, circulation, safety, disaster and emergency response
- Demolish outdated, non-code-compliant structures
TECHNOLOGY AND EQUIPMENT
- Provide high quality instructional equipment for 21st century learning and job training
- Upgrade science and engineering lab equipment
- Upgrade or replace specialized job training equipment such as nursing, health sciences, public safety, biotechnology and renewable energy fields
- Replace or upgrade computers and technology equipment
- Upgrade network infrastructure and telephone systems
- Renovate, upgrade or install network infrastructure to support instructional and web based student support services including distance learning and online classes, and administrative services
- Replace or upgrade computer hardware and software, including audio visual equipment and communication systems
- Upgrade College emergency and disaster response systems, in coordination with City and County agencies